Kanye West Grammy Win for Best Contemporary Christian Music Album stirs reactions and questions
The Recording Academy gave out gramophone trophies on Sunday afternoon, 14th, March as the 63rd annual Grammy Awards honoured top talent in another beautiful year for music.
Lots of awards — which includes categories in Roots, Country, Rock and Christian music — were delivered during the online Premiere Ceremony, which ran via YouTube Sunday afternoon.
Kanye West, PR Morton, Jonathan McReynolds and more were part of the winners of the night
See the Christian & Gospel music category below:
Gospel/Contemporary Christian Music
36. Best Gospel Performance/Song
- “Wonderful Is Your Name” by Melvin Crispell III
- “Release (Live)” by Ricky Dillard Featuring Tiff Joy; David Frazier, songwriter
- “Come Together” by Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins Present: The Good News; Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins & Jazz Nixon, producers; Lashawn Daniels, Rodney Jerkins, Lecrae Moore & Jazz Nixon, songwriters
- “Won’t Let Go” by Travis Greene; Travis Greene, songwriter
- Winner: “Movin’ On” by Jonathan McReynolds & Mali Music; Darryl L. Howell, Jonathan Caleb McReynolds, Kortney Jamaal Pollard & Terrell Demetrius Wilson, songwriters
37. Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance/Song
- “The Blessing (Live)” by Kari Jobe, Cody Carnes & Elevation Worship; Chris Brown, Cody Carnes, Kari Jobe Carnes & Steven Furtick, songwriters
- “Sunday Morning” by Lecrae Featuring Kirk Franklin; Denisia Andrews, Jones Terrence Antonio, Saint Bodhi, Rafael X. Brown, Brittany Coney, Kirk Franklin, Lasanna Harris, Shama Joseph, Stuart Lowery, Lecrae
- “Holy Water” by We The Kingdom; Andrew Bergthold, Ed Cash, Franni Cash, Martin Cash & Scott Cash, songwriters
- “Famous For (I Believe)” by Tauren Wells Featuring Jenn Johnson; Chuck Butler, Krissy Nordhoff, Jordan Sapp, Alexis Slifer & Tauren Wells, songwriters
- Winner: “There Was Jesus” by Zach Williams & Dolly Parton; Casey Beathard, Jonathan Smith & Zach Williams, songwriters
38. Best Gospel Album
- 2econd Wind: Ready by Anthony Brown & group therAPy
- My Tribute by Myron Butler
- Choirmaster by Ricky Dillard
- Winner: Gospel According to PJ by PJ Morton
- Kierra by Kierra Sheard
39. Best Contemporary Christian Music Album
- Run to the Father by Cody Carnes
- All of My Best Friends by Hillsong Young & Free
- Holy Water by We The Kingdom
- Citizen of Heaven by Tauren Wells
- Winner: Jesus Is King by Kanye West
40. Best Roots Gospel Album
- Beautiful Day by Mark Bishop
- 20/20 by The Crabb Family
- What Christmas Really Means by The Erwins
- Winner: Celebrating Fisk! (The 150th Anniversary Album) by Fisk Jubilee Singers
- Something Beautiful by Ernie Haase & Signature Sound
Rapper Kanye West has who was not present to accept the Grammy gramophone won over Christian music giants like Hillsong Young & Free. He definitely has been busy lately balancing lawsuits over his opera Nebuchadnezzar and his ongoing divorce from Kim Kardashian.
Kanye West Grammy win for Best Contemporary Christian Music album come as a little bit of surprise not only because it is the first Gospel Grammy award win for Kanye but also because of what he did 6 months earlier.
In late 2020, Kanye West shared a video on social media where he seemed to have urinated on one of his 21 previous Grammys.
Alongside a video of a trophy in a toilet, West captioned the post: “Trust me … I WONT STOP.”
This has provoked the question, is West going to urinate on this award too knowing fully well that he was not even present at the ceremony to receive the award?
Kanye West Grammy Win spark reactions…
- #SelahMusic: Sammie Okposo | Gratitude Song [@sammieokposo] - October 1, 2022
- #SelahMusic: A Moses | Yahweh [Refix] | Feat. Faith Patrick [@Amosesofficial1] - September 26, 2022
- #SelahMusicVid: Oluwayemisi Yakubu | Bless Me | Feat. David Jones [@yakubu_yemi] - September 18, 2022